Tuesday, December 12, 2006

WHICH BRINGS ME to YOU by Julianna Baggott and Steve Almond



I just finished reading Which Brings Me to You by Julianna Baggott and Steve Almond. It was a great novel, full of life and the quirkiness of language that I love. A little racy at times, but not too graphic. It was all talk, mostly. I had the pleasure of hearing Julianna Baggott speak at the FSU Writing Project's Annual Summit, where I taught a lesson to other teachers on writing springboards in the classroom. Julianna was lively, hilarious and quickly captured the audience with her lovely talent of crafting words. I quickly became a fan and bought two of her books off of Amazon.com that night: Girl Talk and Miss America Family. While waiting for those to arrive, I went to the public library to see if they had her newest: Which Brings Me to You... and much to my amazement, not only was it there, but it was featured on a display case of FSU writers! I was amazed, thrilled, enthused! I quickly scooped up the book before anyone else had a chance to grab it. It has (of course) taken me a long time to get through it. Not because it was not interesting, but because I read so much for my classroom that my "for pleasure" reading time has been drastically cut down to before bed and weekends only. I have been filling that time with caring for my son and little time has been left for reading! Well -- my son has been very sick so while staying home with him, I have been able to get some good reading time in! (I should be doing laundry but oh well.) I finally finished this book today and I'm recommending it to anyone who enjoys traditional letter writing and the explorations of love in a pure and raw form. Kudos to Julianna Baggott and Steve Almond for a great entertaining read!!

No comments: