Friday, May 18, 2007

I'm A Wimp

So... today, my 8th graders were talking about how excited they were to go to high school.  I listened to them banter back and forth.  I wondered what they would be like in high school after a summer to "grow up".  I remembered how they were when they were in 6th grade, and I cried.  Right there in front of them.  Boo-Hooed even. 
 
I have had this group of students since they were in the SIXTH grade.  For three years, I have been their teacher, mentor and friend.  And now, they are leaving.  It's sad.
 
I hope I can contain myself at tonight's graduation ceremony.

3 comments:

Dixie said...

Awww...it made me tear up just to read this.

I think that leap between 6th and 9th grades is big. From Legos to first loves.

Mrs. Pivec said...

Oohhh. I'm sorry. :(

Will you be getting a new class that you will travel with another 3 years? Was this your first group?

Maia is going to be in 6th grade next year - homeschooled, of course, but it's weird to think of my girl being in middle school. I'm thankful she's not leaving me... yet.

I bet your kids were a bit surprised, eh? Sometimes they don't know how much their teachers love them. How did they react?

I think it was sweet. They'll probably remember that scene for years to come. Some may laugh when they do, but others will grow to understand... and be thankful. :)

Jessica Chapman said...

Hi Mrs. Pivec-- To answer your question, I teach 6th 7th and 8th Grade Language Arts in a Magnet Program that I "Direct". So, I teach the students English for three years as well as serve as their liason for the magnet program. I have about 80 students now... and each year, I lose 20 (the graduating 8th graders) and gain 20 (the incoming 6th graders).

What did they do? Well, the girls cried the boys did what boys do best, grinned and acted like it didn't affect them.

Thanks for the sweet comments.