Monday, May 21, 2007

Knitting Pattern... Please?

Hi all... It's all about knitting tonight!!

Can someone point me in the direction (or send me) an EASY knitting pattern? A few of you have said do a hat -- but which hat? I've been searching online and can't find any. Went to the bookstore and all of the newer knitting mags have very difficult (to me) patterns in them. I have lots of knitting needles that I've picked up along the way (including two pairs of circulars)... and would love to do a hat for me or for Camden or just for anyone! A few cool EASY patterns (hats or anything...) would be awesome. I would really like to try some fetchings, too... AND if anyone can point me in the right direction to the EASIEST sock pattern, I'd be ever-so-thankful... BECAUSE I WANT to learn socks, but they all seem so... difficult!!! Thanks!

We're off tomorrow for the funeral. We're leaving at 8am and won't be back until late.

And yes, tomorrow is our two-year wedding anniversary. I surprised Joe at dinner tonight. I told him to meet me at Red Lobster at 5.30, he thought it was a work thing, and I just let him "think" that. When he got there, I had a cake that said "I love you", a few gifts and our waitress was paitently waiting on us :). Red Lobster was my choice because of the area and the time constraints that we had-- Joe had a game at 9 so had to be home by 8 to get ready-- and I had a babysitter for only a few hours... so that was my "quick choice". I was happy that I surprised Joe, though-- because I rarely surprise him, he is so smart and knows me so well that he usually figures everything out.

On the porch, my tea is cold... gotta go get more hot tea before CSI starts, and continue catching up on my blogs at the same time.

TTFN

4 comments:

omly said...

This is my favorite basic hat pattern ever. I can't even tell you how many times I have made it. It requires the ability to knit, purl, and knit 2 stitches together.

An alternative though is to skip the ribbing (but cast on the same number of stitches in worsted weight it suggests and just knit to make a roll-brimmed hat. IMO this is best suited for baby hats though. The folded brim on the above hat makes it extra snuggly warm which I prefer for active children and adults.

omly said...

Also I would tackle a hat before starting socks, since you will still be using the "in the round" technique, but socks have a few more complications. Better to feel comfortable with a hat first.

Amy said...

The hat Omly pointed at looks great. I could send you directions in email on the simplest bulky hat ever (which we use as a Dulaan pattern), but since you're in FL, you don't really need/want to knit bulky stuff most likely! By the way, Happy Anniversary! And, hey, it does sound eerie to sit there.

Dixie said...

You know I knit socks like a maniac but I've never knit a hat so I'm useless at giving any hat advice.

I think the Fetching pattern on Knitty.com is a good start before socks because it helps you learn to knit with larger sized dpns. And the cables are easy. The first cables I ever knit were on Fetchings.

I taught myself to knit socks after reading the section on socks in "Knitting Rules!" by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee but if I just wrote a blog entry talking about a sock knitting book that I think anyone who knits socks should have. You could learn to knit socks from that book - it covers it all. There is also a sock knitters website - sockknitters.com - sorry, I'm rubbish at making links in comments - where you can find all sorts of patterns. And I think many of the videos on knittinghelp.com can aid you in things like doing deceases, kitchener stitch, knitting with dpns, etc. Email me if you have more questions.