Sunday, July 15, 2007

Granddaddy's BBQ


Granddaddy's BBQ, originally uploaded by SunnyNole.

We passed this place on the way home from the family reunion this weekend. In light of my dad being called Granddaddy now (and loving diet coke), we had to stop and take a photo. Also, his dad, MY Granddaddy, just recently passed away, so this was a cool place to see along the way.

So, family reunion this weekend. My dad was the host. Since his dad had just recently passed away, we had recently cleaned out the old house that he grew up in. During the process, we uncovered lots of gems-- including my great grandmother's old journals, old love letters between my great grandmother and great grandfather, and other ephemera from their past. My aunt read aloud from the love letters and my mom read aloud from the journals. Her favorite entry was one about my dad-- September 14, (not remembering the year at this moment, but in the 60's)-- it reads: "Mescal gave birth to her fourth son today. His name is Jon Leslie. We had hoped it would be a girl." -- (mescal is my grandma, jon leslie is my dad)... too cool huh?

...and so during the reunion the letters, the journals, and old photos were passed around. People oohed and aahed, and laughed and cried and said "remember when", and "would you believe". It was amazing.

And it proved that what I'm doing in my visual journal, scrapbook, and through photography MATTERS. That someday they will be found, and passed around, and read, and oohed and aahed over, and THEY will make people laugh and cry and say "remember when" and "would you believe". ...and for this, I will continue, with all my energy, to devote time to these important things. Because if I learned anything at this one reunion, it's not how good Aunt Mabel's apple pie is -- it's how important keeping records of our lives is.

(in spite of the reunion, the diet is status quo. I did what I could, and I didn't cheat. Not even for Aunt Mabel's apple pie.)

3 comments:

Amy said...

What a wonderful story ... and what a wonderful line: "Because if I learned anything at this one reunion, it's not how good Aunt Mabel's apple pie is -- it's how important keeping records of our lives is."

How great that this happened... in this way... reminding you of the value of what you're doing.

kritty said...

That sounds like an amazing reunion! Sounds like your scrapbooking and podcasting, etc. is in your DNA. Good genes ;)

Sheena, Hannah & Hailey said...

What an awesome thing to do. I know how great seeing and sharing those memories were. :-D