Monday, October 15, 2007

Mealtime Dilemmas

This is a true story.

My husband is an honest man. We had a long discussion about family responsiblities and he shared with me that he was a little displeased with our meals as of late... well... has been for the past 18 months. (Read: Since Camden was born, I have not been cooking anything but frozen chicken and veggies... a lot of eating out... and total lack of preparation.) He is right. My meals have sucked. Partly because I wanted us to eat very healthy-- partly because I was being lazy. The "healthy" eating was a cop-out, I know... I can certainly cook more extravagant, yet "healthy" meals. So... I took his constructive criticism, and told him I could work on that... but that in return, he would have to take over all of the laundry. He agreed. YIPPIE!!!!!!!! I am SO incredibly happy! The laundry has always been a daunting and overwhelming task for me. So... no MORE! ...and I will have more time to focus on planning, shopping and preparing GREAT meals for my family. So... out with the laundry, in with the cook books!

To celebrate, I'm positing this AMAZING RECIPE for Egg Salad... from Taste of Home magazine: I made this for Sunday Lunch, and then made a big Sunday Dinner. Thought you all would enjoy this ... it was great.... Who doesn't love a great Croissant?!

Bacon Egg Salad Croissants

"A great way to jazz up an old favorite" is how Julee Wallberg describes the swift sandwiches that she creates in Reno, Nevada. The creamy filling gets a taste boost from bacon and plenty of crunch from diced celery.

INGREDIENTS
1/3 cup diced celery
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
6 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
1/3 cup crumbled cooked bacon
4 lettuce leaves
4 thin tomato slices
4 croissant, split


SERVINGS 4
DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, combine the celery, mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in eggs and bacon. Place a lettuce leaf, tomato slice and 1/2 cup egg salad on each croissant. Yield: 4 servings.

No comments: