Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A story behind the photo.


Owl {small wonder} #2
Originally uploaded by SunnyNole.
I was so excited about the photo that I posted it before I had time to mull over the thoughs in my head surrounding this owl.

So... here goes...

My Grandmamma and Granddaddy collected owls. I immediately thought of them when I saw this owl yesterday. I was checking the mail when I spotted the owl. It didn't dawn on me until later the real reason that this owl was out there-- watching.

My birthday was just this past week. I had mentioned to my mom on the phone that this was the first year that I had noticed that I didn't get a birthday card from Granddaddy. He died over a year ago, within a year of my Grandmama's death. No matter where I lived, at home, in college, various apartments, finally to my present home, always, on my birthday, a card arrived from this set of grandparents.

I spotted the owl when I was checking the mail... four days after my birthday... one day after I had made the comment to my mom.

Certainly a touching moment-- and how wonderful that I was able to photograph it.

And this story came out tonight-- it was in my head, but when I was talking to my mother-in-law, she mentioned the photo, and I told her a little bit about the story--... and she said that she totally believes in those types of things-- in fact, she told me a little story of her own......

She is a retired nurse. She once took care of a patient who was going through chemotheraphy and she was the only one who could administer the type of treatments that he needed, so she worked with him almost daily. Throughout their interaction, he had commented to her quite frequently about how he loved gardenias, and the smell of gardenias. Time went by, and he was nearing his death. His wife called to let my MIL know that he was about to die, so she went down to the hospital to see him. When she walked in, he said hello to her, and then died shortly after. It was during the middle of winter. The day after his death, his wife called my MIL to tell her that a single, huge, and beautiful gardenia had bloomed on the gardenia bush in their backyard.

Amazing.

Life is full of so many wonders-- both big and small. Keep your eyes open for the unexpected. It is there, just waiting for you to SLOW down and notice.

5 comments:

Maria said...

I totally believe in this type of thing. Thanks for sharing the beautiful stories.

mommacurran said...

What great stories. Isn't it crazy the things around us when we just notice. By the way, happy belated birthday.

Que Sarah said...

What a beautiful story. I fully believe in signs from loved ones passed. I get them from my grandmother as well. How wonderful that you were able to see them popping in to say 'hi' and let you know that they're watching over you and wishing you a happy birthday :-)
Thanks for that reminder.

christinemm said...

Wow your story really touched me and brought a tear to my eye. My FIL passed away three months ago of Cancer and my husband and I (and others) were at his bedside as he passed.

metrosupialdesigns said...

what a beautiful story. I have some symbolic herons in my life. solitary birds that they are.