Sunday, June 01, 2008

Paying Attention


Paying Attention, originally uploaded by SunnyNole.

A few days ago I caught a glimpse of Camden with one of our wedding photos. He was holding it while sitting on the floor and he was really studying it. I was able to take a picture to capture the moment without him noticing. On the surface, it's a sweet photo, a really "Awwwww" type of moment.

However, as I pulled up the photo later to add it to my photostream, it really struck a chord with me. It was a symbol of much more than just an "awww, he's looking at our wedding photo" moment. It reminded me that he's watching us. He's watching us in every aspect of our lives-- how we interact and treat each other, how we show affection, what we base our morals and values on. He's watching. Everyday, he is learning how to treat a woman from his Daddy. Everyday, he is learning how he should allow himself to be treated by the way I treat his Daddy.

It was an eye-opener. Although our lives are simple, our marital sqabbles are common-- (Me: "take out the damn garbage!" Joe: -------------------------------*I have to add that I've just sat here for a full five minutes and can't think of a SINGLE thing that Joe gets on my case about.... and I don't dare make anything up because I know he reads this...LOL* ) But anyway, back to the point. Although our squabbles are common and are most of the time silly, this photo reminded me that no matter what I'm/we're mad about, he's watching. He's watching and learning. And that, all by itself, is a big reason to take more care in the way I approach things. Since this moment, I have taken a step back before I over-react about something, I have given my husband a few more hugs and kisses and I have seen our relationship not only for the beauty that is is, but for the example that it is.

4 comments:

hsing3kinder said...

well said Jessica ~ you are so right!

Mary said...

Absolutely. Definitely something to keep in mind.

Que Sarah said...

What a precious photo!! It's so true and kind of scary too! It's amazing how children teach us life lessons along the way - great post!

Sheena said...

That really make to think. It is crazy to think how much your day-to-day life is really put into perspective when you have children.

And that photo is just AMAZING!