Sunday, March 15, 2009

#1,568th reason why my husband loves me.

It's all about the dirt cake.............. LOL.

My mom and dad are in town - staying with my sisters down the street, and I just made this dessert to go with our meal this evening. Camden and Joe are EXCITED. They LOVE this dessert!

Okay, I admit, this isn't MY dirt cake recipe, but one that was passed to me from my Mema, and I've made it this way ever since. You can find variations by searching on the internet, but I have tried most of them and I think this one is certainly the best. However, I have tweaked it for my liking. Some of the recipes out there are so sweet they make you ill after a few bites, but this one- well, let's just say it's so good you will eat the whole flower pot, and someone will be licking the trowel and artificial flower stems. :)

So, here it is: THE FAMOUS DIRT CAKE RECIPE

(I do believe this is one of the reasons my husband fell in love with me, by the way, hence the title of this post. So, if you are currently trying to woo an Oreo-loving man, I highly recommend making this. You'll have him at O-reo.)


Ingredients
1 stick of butter, softened
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 LARGE packages instant vanilla pudding mix
5 cups milk
1 container Cool Whip
1 pkg Oreos

Directions
Toss all cookies into a large ziplock bag, hand it to a three year old and have them crunch them up. (my son thinks this is the best part, especially since he's learned to seal and reseal a ziplock bag so he can sneak a whole cookie now and again.)

Mix butter, & cream cheese with a handmixer until whipped and creamy.

In a large bowl mix milk, pudding and whipped topping together.

Combine pudding mixture and cream cheese/butter mixture together.

Layer in flower pot, starting with cookies then cream mixture then cookies on top.

Chill until ready to serve.

Add artificial flower and trowel if you really want to get fancy. Add gummy worms if a bunch of kids will be eating it. (I leave gummy worms off, as I don't like the eewy gooeyness that they get after being in the dirt cake for awhile, and I don't like how the gummy worm taste gets into the oreos/pudding mixture...)

Enjoy!

(photo courtesy of MarthaStewart.com)

No comments: