Saturday, April 25, 2009

Sometimes you just need a little comfort food...

I have had an abundance of canned diced tomatoes lately and really needed to think of new and innovative ways to use them. I've made chili. I've made Rachel Ray's Tortizzas (pizzas on a tortilla)... And still, I have these diced tomatoes and need to use them! I made baked chicken one night and served diced tomatoes over rice- I thought it was great, but everyone else in my family gawked. To me, that was southern cooking at it's finest. The only thing missing was the stick of butter a'la Paula Deen!




And so, I heard about this fabulous soup recipe- Creamy Tomato Soup. And I made it this evening. And ya'll, this was the ULTIMATE comfort food. And my favorite part? It was so easy! (The only thing that I felt was missing was the bread bowl... I will attempt those next time.) I highly recommend serving this with some sort of bread for dipping. Yes, dipping. It's a thick and creamy soup and it's SOOO delish!




Creamy Tomato Soup


2 cups skim milk


1 can (14.5oz) diced tomatoes, undrained (I used fire roasted- use whatever you'd like!)


1 8oz. pkg cream cheese (I used lowfat and it tasted fine.)


1/4 c. coarsely chopped fresh basil


1/2 tsp. salt


1/8 tsp. pepper




Note: You may omit the fresh basil if desired.




Place all ingredients into a blender. Process until smooth.



Transfer to a large saucepan. Heat until heated completely. Serve steaming in a bread bowl or with bread for dipping.
Yum!

No comments: