Saturday, April 25, 2009

That's Amore!

Tonight we made homemade pizza. It was so wonderful. Camden loved kneading the dough, and helping me spread it out. This is a great activity to do to get your children involved with the preparation of dinner.


Okay, here's the quick recipe for the dough- it's just one that I found online- nothing special, but I liked this one because you don't have to leave the dough to rise for an hour - you can use it immediately. (And it was actually very good- pizza parlor quality good!)


Easy Peasy Pizza Dough



1 small package of Active Dry Yeast (About 1tbsp.)



1 cup of warm water



1 tsp. sugar



1 tsp. salt



2 tbsp. vegetable oil (or any other kind of oil) - I used EVOO



2 1/2 cups Bread Flour



Dissolve yeast in cup of warm water. Add sugar, salt, oil and flour, stir until sticky. Flour your surface, toss the dough ball onto it and knead it for 10 minutes. *This is where you should involve your children!*



This is Camden having fun kneading the dough. He had so much fun, I'm sure we exceeded the 10-minute kneading directions, because at this point, I washed up the dishes that I had used to mix it to give him a little more time with the dough.



Once the dough is kneaded, roll it out. (I don't have a rolling pin so I just used a glass because that's what my mom always did... hehehe!)... Place it into a pizza pan, *or a cookie sheet*, (I didn't have a pizza pan either, so we just used a cookie sheet, it was a square pizza but it didn't taste any different! Rolling pin and pizza pan are on my kitchen list of "things needed"... :)



Then top your pizza with whatever you'd like to top it with! We used sauce, cheese and pepperoni.




My little boy who was so proud of his pizza. He put on the cheese and pepperonis for me! Before we put it in the oven he said "this is gonna be soooooooooo goooood!" He's such an optimistic little guy isn't he? Either that or he really has faith in his mama's cookin'!



And you know what? He was right! It was Soooooooo Gooooooooooood! I'm thinking next time we'll top it with veggies galore! We were both very proud of our pizza. That's Amore!

No comments: